Saturday, February 18, 2012

Jesus, Thou Joy of Loving Hearts


Jesus, Thou Joy of loving hearts,
Thou Fount of life, Thou Light of men,
From the best bliss that earth imparts,
We turn unfilled to Thee again.

Thy truth unchanged hath ever stood;
Thou savest those that on Thee call;
To them that seek Thee Thou art good,
To them that find Thee all in all.

We taste Thee, O Thou living Bread,
And long to feast upon Thee still;
We drink of Thee, the Fountainhead,
And thirst our souls from Thee to fill.

Our restless spirits yearn for Thee,
Wherever our changeful lot is cast;
Glad when Thy gracious smile we see,
Blessed when our faith can hold Thee fast.

 --Bernard of Clairvaux

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's such a lovely hymn, isn't it, Hannah!
Hugs ajb

Hannah said...

It is! And I actually was only recently introduced to it "in full" while reading a biography on Amy Carmichael. It was one of the hymns she and "her" children often sang, and I wanted to know the tune and more of the words than what were copied in the biography. What a treasure to have found! :)

Hugs back!

vdhkids said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKoGjV5bqg

You probably already did this :) But I was curious.
Love ♥

vdhkids said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0peBu4iSk&feature=related

and here's a very different one :)
but lovely.

Joanne Chantelau said...

What beautiful words. Thanks for posting this. I love it and old hymns. I've not heard this one before and will check out the You Tube posts from your commenters. You have a very pretty and serene blog!

Hannah said...

Mmm...definitely with you Joanne. I love the rich vocabulary and word pictures that are so often in the "old" hymns. The tune is actually one that plays on my blog (you can manipulate the little player to find it)...just an instrumental, but I've enjoyed getting to know it better. :)