Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Orchard Update

We are just now getting into "busy season" at the Orchard! And the weather is helping it feel like October already...in the 60s all day. It doesn't sound all that cold until you're damp from washing a pile of dishes and step outside into the breeze! Then it's definitely nippy!

An interesting thing happened last night at the Orchard though. The neighbor's cows got onto the Evans' property some how...and decided to check out the mums, pick some apples (roughly 1/2 bushel per tree on one row), and...take on the challenge of the corn maze. I think they must have gotten frustrated in the maze though...they gave up following the pathways and just busted through the whole thing. Eeek! So that was a different kind of happening...and one I'm sure Mr. Evans would rather not be repeated! No more cows seeking amusement, please!

And what else do we do this time of year besides holding cow parties? Well, for starters, we start making apple butter again! Even after stocking up as much as we could over the winter, we still need more for the harvest festival! Same with the strawberry preserves. They just fly off shelves. And the pies are STILL being made daily, the fudge is still being cranked out, breads and dumplings, cider and slushies, apples and pears, lunches and ice cream are still finding their happy way into peoples homes and stomachs. :) But in ever-increasing amounts as we hit the zenith of the Orchard's year.

OH! (and this has made me happy!) guess who learned to make donuts? My brother Tyler! And he does a lovely job. Today I was cutting up bananas (??? at an apple orchard ???) for the dehydrator while he made donuts. Okay, ordinary enough. Not with Tyler. He had to get a chunk of banana and toss it in the fryer "to see how it would turn out". Black. That's how it turned out. Then he had to coat another piece of banana with leftover batter to see "how it would taste". Gross. That's how it tasted. "I've never really liked cooked bananas" he says. Somehow I'm kind of glad donuts is the only thing he does in the kitchen just now. ;)

So into October we go! With school tours during the week (hundreds of kids!), weekend-long festivals (thousands of people!), and I'm feeling in my bones that my non-stop-fudge days are just around the corner...fun fun fun!!

3 comments:

Bek said...

That is kind of hilarious, though also tragic, about the cow! The poor Evans!

I'm planning on stopping by to see if you guys need more pumpkins :) I feel the need, the need to paint! hahaha (plus I love seeing you there)

Hannah said...

I'm so glad you've been "forced" to come out so frequently! It's been great to catch up a little between pumpkins. And I LOVE seeing your little creations all over the porch and store! They're ADORABLE!!!! :) I'm Thursday and Saturday this week...just so you know...
As for the cows...yeah, I had to sorta suck in the laughter over the event out of respect for the Evans. They were rather downhearted about it. And understandably...but..but...I could just picture the midnight cow festival!!! :D

Anonymous said...

What a creative brother you have!
Don't you make banana fritters/bananas deep-fried in batter? If we buy take-away rotisserie chicken we can have it with battered banana, battered pinapple rings and chips OR roasted vegetables. There is no decision to be made for this sweet-tooth!

ajb in Australia