It all started at work, with those dehydrated bananas.
First of all, those bananas, so painstakingly cut and prepared and dried...totally didn't work out. They were gummy, and looked, well, brown and ugly. Still tasty, if you wanted a jaw workout, but there's no way we were going to sell them.
So of course, being the experimenter that I am, I asked if I could take home a few bags to see what I could do with rubbery, dehydrated bananas.
Idea #1 worked out great! They are amazing in oatmeal! The boiling water rehydrates the bananas, making them edible. Daddy said he'd just as soon cut a fresh banana into his cereal, but I say what's more convenient than throwing some dried bananas into your oatmeal? No knife to clean, no peel to discard! They'll be selling dried bananas IN cereal before long...oh wait.
So that was idea #1. And really, it might have been wise to stop while I was ahead, but how was I supposed to know #2 was going to have...difficulties?
Okay, first of all, Mom was out this afternoon. This was NOT a factor that determined whether I was going to experiment or not. Honest!! It just happened that way, and was the reason I was in the kitchen at all this afternoon. I was mixing up a cake for supper, and baking Mom's rolls. And, while in the kitchen, decided to try crisping up the gummy bananas by...microwaving them.
Do you KNOW how bad burnt bananas smell? Guess I left them in there a little too long. Black is bad, isn't it? And smoke coming out of the old micro? Hmmm. The mess goes into the garbage, a couple windows got opened, and that's the end of it, right? No, no no, first my siblings have to draw as much drama out of Hannah's experimental disasters as they can. Three of 'em walk in the kitchen holding their noses:
"What's that SMELL!?!?"
"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just an experiment gone wrong."
Which, essentially IS nothing, since you have nothing to show for it, right?
And you know, the fact that they didn't think anything about my experimenting (or that the experiment went wrong) might tell you something. But don't feel like you have to think too long and hard about it.
And then Sam walks in and requires a bit more of an explanation.
"Something smells funny in here."
"Reeeeally?"
"Yeah, did you burn something?"
*eyes the rolls that had come out earlier*
"Nah, not those, you don't keep burnt things, Sam"
*eyes light up, and he goes for the trashcan*
honestly.
*pulls out a charred bit of blackness and gives me a puzzled look*
"I, uh, *cough*...tried to crisp those bananas up"
*GUFFAW*
"I couldn't even tell what this WAS at first!!!!"
*drops black thing back into the garbage and goes outside*
Now can we PLEASE move on? The smell is gone, no more reason to talk about this, right? RIGHT?
So Mom comes home, and is about to head upstairs to feed Selah, and stops to talk to Carrie, and I hear from the lips of my DEAR little sister:
"I smelled something funny in the kitchen, and Hannah said it was an experiment that went wrong."
*CHOKE!*
Really, though, it could have been worse. I personally am just thankful the fire alarm didn't go off.
This time.

2 comments:
And I HOPE you noticed that I graciously did NOT say a thing to you.....now did I????
I decided to ignore it, not ask ANY questions...so um, this is the very first I knew the details of that...."experiment gone wrong". You could have escaped, but NOOOOOO, you wrote about it on your blog for all the world to read.
I was a little worried about my rolls...but they did look OK....mystery solved. Thanks.
Love, Mom
Yup, I noticed. And it was MUCH appreciated. I wanted to have the fun of blogging it. ;) Love you Mom!
Post a Comment