Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wonderful Daddy


Ahhh...second day back to work.
Guess what Tyler and I got to do?!? Get up at 5am, so we can be at work by 6 to fry pies and donuts! Wuhoooo!! Actually, moaning and groaning aside, it was something kind of out of the ordinary, and we were both looking forward to it.  :)

Except...we were expecting 3-6 inches of snow during the night and early morning. And if you're planning to be driving to work bright and early...hmmm.  My car is NOT all-wheel or 4-wheel drive.  Sturdy and reliable. But I'd never driven it on snow before.

We really did have to be at work...and we really did wake up to a LOT of snow on the ground, and more falling! 

Nervousness!!!!

 We decided to check it out after our breakfast, to see if my car would be able to make it. 

BUT...
my dear and wonderful Daddy beat us to it.

In fact...
he scraped off the snow from both our car and his...
then got into his truck, at that early hour, and told us to follow him on to the Orchard. I was SO glad it no longer rested on my judgement!  It's much easier just to be told to follow. ;) 

The roads were really slushy, and it took us twice as long to get there. But whereas before, on my own, I'd have been stiff with tension...my Daddy was right up ahead. What's to be afraid of?  Slow down when he slows down. Take all the turns carefully. Trust that he won't go keep going if he knows it's not safe...and that if I get stuck, he'd be there in a minute to get me out.

So though He doesn't always keep me safe and cozy at home. And doesn't always drive for me. Or change the weather so I don't have to face something difficult... He's always there, right up ahead. What's to be afraid of?  My Father knows where He's going, and what I can handle.  And if I get stuck? He's right there, ready to pull me out of my drift...

An early-morning illustration of my heavenly Father's loving care and wisdom.

"Make me to know your ways, O LORD;
teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long."
Psalm 25:4-5

Love you, Daddy...you really don't know how much "driving" us to work this morning meant to me. Thanks for watching out for your li'l girl. :)

2 comments:

Audrey said...

That's a lovely post, Hannah. I had no idea that the route between your house and the orchard might be so treacherous!

it reminds me:
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

Kristie Abernathy said...

I LOVE this, Hannah! How blessed we both are to have a biological father AND a Heavenly Father that loves us and goes before us!!