Monday, July 26, 2010

Of Marshmallows and Sunflowers

Did you know the stores don't sell marshmallow peeps this time of year? They really should be a year-round commodity. However, when not to be had, there's always Grace!

Kate's birthday cake this year called for said marshmallow peeps. Not finding them, I asked Grace if she could possibly make me some homemade marshmallows to use in their place.  She most willingly obliged, dear girl!

So here are assembled all the ingredients for what was going to be the cutest birthday cake for Miss Kate's 11th birthday.


Mini chocolate chips.
Always most welcomed by the siblings wherever the little brown fellas show themselves.


Green buttercream frosting.
(*note to self: always beat 'till STIFF)


The lovely LARGE yellow marshmallows.
Hearts?
Hearts.


Put them all together and you have....


A green cake with yellow hearts slapped on it.

Yeah...
The marshmallows were a little...big.
The frosting was a little...runny.
And what IS that pile of chocolate chips?
And being about midnight at this point, I was too tired to feel like fixing anything and just decided to let it be.

However, I couldn't STAND it the next day.
So, I...
disassembled the top of the cake,
cut and cut back on the marshmallows,
re-frosted top and sides,
wiped my icing-coated brow and...


Sighed with relief.

Presentable and much enjoyed by Kate.
:)

4 comments:

Bek said...

aw, I don't think the first version looked bad! But I understand where you're coming from - especially the runny frosting. That was my biggest problem with Eben's cake. Summer humidity. Oh well.

It looks darling! Sunflower?

Bek said...

Duh! I didn't read the title obviously. hahaha. Oh well :)

stenhoffmama said...

so creative and so cute! xo

Hannah said...

Bek...black-eyed susan. ;)