So I neglected to take pictures while making this cake. I was in hurry-mode instead of bloggy-mode.
But THIS cake is blog-worthy.
Pictures or no!
And it not only gets plenty of comments...it's really really fun! And makes your house smell like Thanksgiving. Wish there was a scratch-and-sniff feature on here.
Think moist, spice-infused cake with succulent apples in a caramel-like sauce baked into the top (well, bottom, I guess), the extra gooey-ness dripping down the sides after you flip it out onto your serving plate.
Think moist, spice-infused cake with succulent apples in a caramel-like sauce baked into the top (well, bottom, I guess), the extra gooey-ness dripping down the sides after you flip it out onto your serving plate.
Best served warm, with a scoop of ice cream on the side. But aren't most things best that way?
Upside-Down Apple Skillet Cake
Topping:
6 T. butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-in. thick (3 c. sliced)
Cake:
1 pkg. plain spice cake mix (or white/yellow, with extra cinnamon added)
8 T. butter, melted
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. dark corn syrup
2 lg. eggs
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350*F. Place butter in a 10-in. cast iron skillet and heat the skillet over low heat to melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Arrange apple slices over bottom of skillet.
Place cake mix, butter, buttermilk, corn syrup, eggs, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer at low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl, and beat at medium for 2 minutes more. Pour batter on top of apples in skillet, smoothing top. Will be a full skillet...but no fear, mine hasn't overflowed yet, even though I put foil on the rack underneath every time...just in case.
Bake cake 43-47 minutes, or until it tests done. Run a knife around edges of cake. Carefully invert the skillet into a heatproof serving plate.
Serve as suggested...with ice cream!

4 comments:
I remember the cake . . . but I don't believe we had ice cream. What's that all about? I've been deprived! ;)
Sam, Sam, Sam...it was our having it withOUT ice cream that made me realize how much better it would have been WITH it. So I just made sure to make a point to SAY it was better with ice cream, so that (with a little planning), others could be sure to enjoy it the BEST way. :)
I think you need to make it again just so I can see some pictures... and perhaps come snag a piece ;)
Ha ha...okay Bekea!! :) Only if you PROMISE to come and share it!
Post a Comment