The rebuilt Goliad Mission.
A Spanish Catholic missionary effort among the local Indian tribes (including cannibals!) that began around 1726, and built at this location in 1749. It remained an active mission for an impressive110 years before the monks and Indians dispersed due to the rumblings and troubles of the Mexican-American war.
Shall we go in?
A baptismal...Uncle Dave said, "I guess they didn't believe in full immersion..."
This is a part of the only surviving original wall of the Mission...260 years old! Pre-American Revolution!!!
Now to the outdoors!
These stone outbuildings were the where the Indians learned blacksmith work, weaving, and other useful trades, in addition to their schooling.
Mesquite tree.
This fella drew us out to the nature walk...he stood and looked at us for the longest time. So beautiful! His face was so delicate.
Winecups.
Prickly Pear...I think.
Indian Paintbrush...and yellow flowers.
(needed a TX wildflower book!)
Just informed that these are prickly poppies There are just fields and fields of them!
Next up, the nearby fort--
Presidia La Bahia!

2 comments:
Oh Hannah...what great pics, on this post, and the one below!!
And I LOVE your stately critter friend...I definitely think he's calling to you to sketch him! :) :)
How beautiful,Hannah!
The mallow-like flowers look like prickly poppies. We see a lot out in north-desert-west!:)
Post a Comment