You have given me the shield of Your salvation,
and Your gentleness made me great."
and Your gentleness made me great."
(2 Samuel 22:36)
- - -
Isn't that a pleasant little verse? Just because I had some extra time this morning, I decided to drag out my Strong's Concordance and do some word searches. Sometimes my findings are just what I anticipate...a word means exactly what I think it does. Other times? Just WOW.
Isn't that a pleasant little verse? Just because I had some extra time this morning, I decided to drag out my Strong's Concordance and do some word searches. Sometimes my findings are just what I anticipate...a word means exactly what I think it does. Other times? Just WOW.
This was a "Just WOW" kinda morning, as I dug into this little verse.
Had to share. :)
First of all, this Psalm of David is in two places. Recorded in Psalm 18 as well as in this chapter of 2 Samuel, are King David's pourings-forth of praise to God for deliverance from the hands of all his enemies. Talk of a shield in the verse above makes sense! And here David proclaims that HIS shield was God's salvation.
Shield, let's look up the word shield!
SHIELD--"meginnah"
"a shield (i.e. a smaller one or buckler);
figurative: a protector;
also the scaly hide of the crocodile."
I really like that last one. :) God's salvation wrapped around David like scales on a crocodile, protecting him from harm--which is odd because you think of "salvation" as an outcome rather than a defense:
e.g. "I was in trouble, and then he saved me."
But no. David speaks of God's salvation AS his greatest protection--even before being literally delivered. God had promised him salvation, and David had believed God, strapped on the promise,
e.g. "I was in trouble, and then he saved me."
But no. David speaks of God's salvation AS his greatest protection--even before being literally delivered. God had promised him salvation, and David had believed God, strapped on the promise,
and used it as his greatest defense against the enemies of doubt and fear.
God's promise of salvation was as good as accomplished salvation.
- - -
- - -
The next little piece is what really blew me over, though.
"Your gentleness made me great."
THIS is what originally made me stop and do some extra word studies. What does God's gentleness have to do with David's greatness? It's just not what I would have expected to read there.
Are you ready for this?
The word "gentleness" is used only 4 times in the Bible. Used with a slightly different connotation each time:
--"Sweet reasonableness" (2 Cor. 10:1)
--Goodness expressed in action (Gal. 4:22)
--"Divine condescension", aka. clemency (Ps. 18:35)
aaaandd...
hey wait a minute.
Isn't this 2 Samuel passage a re-quote of Psalm 18? Shouldn't it be the same word? I certainly thought so...but it's NOT. Are you ready for this last definition of "gentleness", as used in our nice little verse up there?
GENTLENESS--"anah"
affliction
painful treatment
discipline
Wh-wh-WHAT?!?!
Okay, who wrote this dictionary? Those sound like antonyms to me.Who even thought to translate that word "anah" into gentleness, in both the ESV and the KJV? I don't get it! Why can't it be:
"Your sweet reasonableness made me great"
or even
"Your goodness made me great"?
But even as I puzzled and puzzled--I realized it's actually really really effective. How humbling that David could be so submissive to what had the appearance of very harsh dealings--and be able to see beyond the pain to God's goodness, and call them "gentle". Affliction from the loving heart and active kindness of God that must sometimes appear harsh in order to produce the kind of heart He desires--one that submits to and even blesses the rod!
The making of a truly great man indeed!
The making of a truly great man indeed!
- - -
"For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life,
and those who find it are few." (Matt. 7:14)
Narrow and hard, not to discourage any from walking it, but because it must be to produce the steadfast, sinewy disciples Jesus wants. Few find it because few see God's good "gentleness" in suffering, and don't recognize it as the way to Life. Christ bore God's wrath...will we complain over the suffering that is gentleness by comparison? Jesus is the way, the truth and the life--and to walk with Him means to participate in both His joys and His suffering. Oh, how we must wrap ourselves up (like a crocodile in its scales!) with the promise of His final salvation! This isn't easy stuff.
Narrow and hard, not to discourage any from walking it, but because it must be to produce the steadfast, sinewy disciples Jesus wants. Few find it because few see God's good "gentleness" in suffering, and don't recognize it as the way to Life. Christ bore God's wrath...will we complain over the suffering that is gentleness by comparison? Jesus is the way, the truth and the life--and to walk with Him means to participate in both His joys and His suffering. Oh, how we must wrap ourselves up (like a crocodile in its scales!) with the promise of His final salvation! This isn't easy stuff.
But generations of the faithful tell us--
it is good.
it is good.
- - -
"The hill though high, I covet to ascend;
"The hill though high, I covet to ascend;
The difficulty will not me offend;
For I perceive the way to life lies here:
Come, pluck up heart, let's neither faint nor fear.
Better, though difficult, the right way to go,
Than wrong, though easy, where the end is woe."
--John Bunyan
"Strive to choose, not that which is easiest, but that which is most difficult. Do not deprive your soul of the agility which it needs to mount up to Him."
--John Bunyan
"Strive to choose, not that which is easiest, but that which is most difficult. Do not deprive your soul of the agility which it needs to mount up to Him."
--St. John of the Cross

No comments:
Post a Comment