Saturday, November 29, 2008

A quote from an "Apples to Apples" Bible edition card


"Preach the Gospel always. If necessary, use words."

-Francis of Assisi
(1182-1226)

5 comments:

Bek said...

you sure that's the original place it's from? ;)

Hannah said...

Hmmm, I guess Apples to Apples wasn't around when good St. Francis was alive, was it? Oh well. It's where I found the quote anyway. *grin*

Hannah said...

And by the way, dear readers, I do believe it's very important to use words when sharing the gospel. But it IS just as important that we "practice what we preach".
And further research revealed that this quote may not have even been Francis of Assisi's...who definitely used both words and actions when preaching the gospel. :) But at any rate, this quote was a good reminder that often "actions speak louder than words".

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if my previous comments have reached you - but I'll leave another.
I love your quote by St Francis. I have only read a little of his writing (in a series called "Rekindling the Inner Fire" ... readings arranged by David Hazard. There is another in the series on "John of The Cross".) These "old saints" have such a lot to offer us still.
Have a great week!

Hannah said...

Hi Mrs. Bridgewater! :) Thanks for at least trying to comment on my blog. I don't know why it hasn't worked. I just copied and pasted the comment you emailed Mom for me. Maybe try choosing a different "identity" when commenting until it works? What a mystery. But then, I find lots of things about cyberspace mysterious. :)