Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish Freckle Bread


A new St. Patricks' day recipe I tried today! Soooo yummy!

Irish Freckle Bread

1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
8 T. sugar, divided
1 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs
1/4 c. warm mashed potatoes (w/out added milk or butter)
1/2 tsp. salt
3-1/4-4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. raisins

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 T sugar in warm water. Add the butter, eggs, potatoes, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into eight portions. Shape each into a ball. Place dough balls in a greased 10-in. spring-form pan. Cover and let rise until doubled. about 30 minutes. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown Remove sides of pan. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Yield: 1 loaf

I made this in the bread machine, made lots of smaller balls and put them all in a 13x9. They were super soft and yummy, though it did take quite a bit more flour than they said. Oh, and I, uh, served with green butter. Not entirely necessary, but fun for the day! :) Also...if you go to make a small batch of mashed potatoes specifically for this recipe, and decide to microwave your peeled, diced potato pieces...I would highly recommend putting them in a bowl with WATER covering them. Unless you want baked potatoes that stick to the bottom of the bowl so badly that you have to soak them. Then I suppose you could skip the water. Live and learn.

(picture from www.tasteofhome.com )

3 comments:

Michelle Shook said...

Yeah! The recipe. :) Thank you, I look forward to trying this one.

Mrs. K said...

Oh, I LOVE bread...it is my weakness :)...will have to try this one! Have you tried making the challah yet?

Hannah said...

Hi Mrs. K! Bread is a weakness of mine too. :) And no I haven't tried the challah yet! My mouth waters every time I see the recipe you sent, but just haven't had time. Soon!!