First of all, this is the best chocolate from-scratch cake recipe I've ever tried! I'm sure 3 cups of sugar had nothing to do with that. But anyway, this is...or was... Mom's birthday cake. :) And if you look closely, you'll see the bottom layer is...slightly squarish. The recipe said it was supposed to have 3 9-in. layers. We've got only 2 9-inchers, so what do you do? An 8-inch round on top would have looked silly. *grin* "And a square cake on bottom doesn't?" Be quiet, Hannah. I didn't ask for your opinion. Just makin' do with what we had. Nothing a few careful camera angles and pink drizzle won't fix up. Nobody complained. :D Oh, and by the way, this is no ordinary chocolate cake. It had layers of white raspberry creme on the inside, and the chocolate frosting you see under all the pinkness is raspberry chocolate buttercream. Wow. Square layers will be tolerated if there is creme. I've always said, creme filling is like love...it covers many baking "sins". Not that square layers are baking sins, necessarily...oh man, I think I need to stop typing. I'm tired and that is never good when I'm writing. I might actually attempt a pun or something if I keep going. And my attempts at puns are never funny. Too much chocolate. Wait, scratch that, I'm not sure such a state as "too much" exists. Okay okay, stopping now.Monday, March 23, 2009
Need more 9" rounds...
First of all, this is the best chocolate from-scratch cake recipe I've ever tried! I'm sure 3 cups of sugar had nothing to do with that. But anyway, this is...or was... Mom's birthday cake. :) And if you look closely, you'll see the bottom layer is...slightly squarish. The recipe said it was supposed to have 3 9-in. layers. We've got only 2 9-inchers, so what do you do? An 8-inch round on top would have looked silly. *grin* "And a square cake on bottom doesn't?" Be quiet, Hannah. I didn't ask for your opinion. Just makin' do with what we had. Nothing a few careful camera angles and pink drizzle won't fix up. Nobody complained. :D Oh, and by the way, this is no ordinary chocolate cake. It had layers of white raspberry creme on the inside, and the chocolate frosting you see under all the pinkness is raspberry chocolate buttercream. Wow. Square layers will be tolerated if there is creme. I've always said, creme filling is like love...it covers many baking "sins". Not that square layers are baking sins, necessarily...oh man, I think I need to stop typing. I'm tired and that is never good when I'm writing. I might actually attempt a pun or something if I keep going. And my attempts at puns are never funny. Too much chocolate. Wait, scratch that, I'm not sure such a state as "too much" exists. Okay okay, stopping now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
You could always trim down the square to match up a bit better, haha. Or borrow some 9" pans from a particularly keen baking buddy down the road ;)
Yeah, it would be my luck to read this post on the first day of my new diet lol..
This looks awesome!! :D Something I will def. have to try..
Bek, why do I not think to call you? I thought about trimming the square, but figured nobody would complain about extra cake, even at the loss of a the perfectly circular layer. :)
haha, true, Hannah. The perfectionist in us might yearn to trim those corners, but the eater in us begs us not to! ;)
I'm sure it was absolutely "delish!"
It looks wonderful - and I am sure that there wasn't a crumb left! You clever little thing, you!
I hope that "The Birthday Girl" was able to enjoy some!
Hugs,
ajb
Hannah...have you gotten some sleep yet??? :0
Actually, I enjoyed your humor...it reminded me of the humor of your cat drawing...you know, the one that had the lemon in its mouth. (ducking & running) :):)
Cake sounds YUMMY...perfect for someone getting sooooo old! ;)
Love,
Mrs. K
MY cat drawing, Mrs. K? And whose humor might THAT have been? IIII surely didn't come up with that drawing idea! I'd duck and run too if I were you. ;) Oh what fun it was when I had more time to draw for you...it was almost more fun when I had a picture that needed fixing and we had to discuss it. :) Rocking chairs...
Lots of fun memories from it all that I'll always cherish...(especially of the lemon-in-the-mouth cat). ;)
Have a wonderfully blessed Easter week! Love you!
I remebered this post of yours yesterday, and had a giggle! Karen was on the hunt for the right sized tins for M2's birthday cake. There was a brief discussion about combining square tins with rounds! I said "Hannah did! and it worked just fine!!" No doubt there'll be a photo on its way "to an email near you", when she gets it done, and before it's demolished!!
ajb
'hope you didn't get zillions of this - 'having trouble commenting (again).
Hi Mrs. Bridgewater :) I didn't get zillions of this, just the one comment...I'm sorry you're having trouble again! But DO please send me a picture of M2's cake before it gets consummed! So I'm not the only one who has to combine circle and square pans! Hooray!! :)
Post a Comment