Sunday, July 5, 2009

Promises of Guidance

An exerpt from Elisabeth Elliot's book, God's Guidance:


The Bible contains thousands of promises, a great number of which concern guidance. Nearly every one of the sixy-six books has some word about how God led someone or how he promises to lead those who want to be led, from the Lord God's taking the man Adam and putting him in the garden he had made for him, telling him what to do and what not to do, to the Lamb's leading those who have washed their robes: "And he will guide them to springs of living water; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." (Rev. 7:17)


There are promises of special care for special needs:
"He will feed his flock like a shepherd, he will gather the lambs in his arms, he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." (Isa. 40:11)


If you can't see the way before you:
"I will lead the blind in a way that they know not, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground." (Isa. 42:16)


If you are thirsty or in need of refreshment of some kind:
"He who has pity on them will lead them, and by springs of water will guide them." (Isa. 49:10)


If no way looks possible at all:
"And I will make my mountains a way, and my highways shall be raised up." (Isa. 49:11)


If you are confused or distressed:
"I will lead him and requite him with comfort." (Isa. 57:18)


If you falter or are fearing failure:
"Thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling...?" (Ps. 56:13)


If you are lonely or tired:
"My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." (Ex. 33:14)

photo credits: Sam and Hannah vdH

No comments: