It's funny how sometimes the best thinking happens when your hands are busy and there's nobody and nothing to distract you from a train of thought. At least, so I discovered this morning at the Orchard while wrapping apple cider donuts. :) So now you get to see what Scripture, donuts & pies, music, cathedrals, and the glory of God have to do with each other! I know you've always wondered.
I suppose my thoughts started bright and early this morning with a verse the girls and I had worked on that morning during our walk:
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." (1 Cor. 9:24-25).
So during our trek up and down the driveway (and between gasps of breath!) we discussed how when pursuing a goal, we might have to adapt the way we use our time, the things we eat, the things we do. Living in the "wartime" mindset, you might say...making the best use of all things in order to reach the goal.
The spiritual aspect of these thoughts is all over Scripture...both that we must make the best use of our time here in light of eternity, but also the importance of pursuing not perishable things, but imperishable.
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." (Eph. 5:15-17)
"Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuites will have plenty of poverty." (Prov. 28:19)
"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father, but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." (1 John 2:15-17)
So on to the donuts and pies! I was standing in the kitchen wrapping donuts this morning, and thinking of the transient nature of baked goods. :) What do DONUTS have to do with eternity? I was reminded of a story a dear lady at work had told the day before. She's the one who invented the delectable fried pies that the Orchard is so famous for, and she was recalling the "olden" days, when the Evans were happy if they sold 6 pies during the course of the day out of their produce shed (during festivals these days, we sell hundreds upon hundreds!!) And then stories of these days of running into people who would rave about the pies at Evans Orchard, wondering if she'd ever had one. "What do you say?" she asked. "Take the credit!" one girl suggested, but my friend just sort of smiled and laughed as if to say "What for?"
And, indeed...what for? Why do we so often seek credit or recognition for what we do?
As Proverbs has it, "It is not good to eat much honey, nor is it glorious to seek one's own glory." (Prov. 25:27)
Often, I've heard, music conductors or instrumentalists will cough or breathe deeply during their recordings, in order to "put their mark" on their music. But in my opinion, that distracts me from the beauty of the music! I'm not interested, honestly, in who's playing, but what's produced! Is it beautiful and well-executed? Does it lift my heart and mind? Good grief, quit clearing your throat!!
In stark contrast to these egoists, is a story I read somewhere about the builders of a beautiful cathedral somewhere in Europe. In the structure, carved into the wood where he probably never thought it would be seen, a little bird. An unknown workman. Just doing his job with carefulness and joy, probably not caring that he be listed as one who worked to build this beautiful place. Simply using his gifts and abilities to contribute to the beauty and magnificence of the place by doing his part well.
And I don't know about you, but there's something I always really admire and love about those "anonymous" poems and hymns. The writer never pushing himself forward, but simply writing out of the fullness of his heart and never caring whether he gets "glory, laud, and honor" for the thing he created.
So what do donuts have to do with eternity? What do dishes have to do with pursuing godliness and a lasting crown? I believe the secret is to do all good things that my hands find to do, to the best of my ability. Not to prove I'm the best or most careful worker. Not to show others how talented or wonderful I am. Simply to do my best, to pay attention to details, and to work with joy in even the dullest tasks, that GOD might see and be pleased! If HE sees the work and is honored, it doesn't really matter if others do. Then, indeed, will He be pleased to "establish the work of our hands", and the One worthy of glory will receive the glory.
So in my walking, baking, sleeping, talking...be glorified, O Lord.
.jpg)

3 comments:
Amen. Hannah, this was simply wonderful. Thank you. I love you bunches and bunches. *hugs*
Thanks, Hannah!:)
Much love,
Lauren
Wow! It's amazing how much He can teach through the mundane things of life. Thanks for sharing this - what a wonderful reminder and a great example of doing everything for Him. Love you, Aunt Bonnie
Post a Comment