Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Desserts: Part 1

So day 1 of Thanksgiving baking.
Which culinary delight do you think we started with? And spent an entire day creating?

DESSERT of course!!

First the pies!

Armed with tea and lovely Thanksgiving aprons (thanks Mom!!!), Michelle and I got up *early* to begin our dessert campaign.

Early, meaning we were in the kitchen before 9am.

Aren't you impressed?

We nearly lost one of our pie crusts though...SOMEbody was so excited about dessert, she almost ate a raw crust. We consigned her to hard labor after that incident, and had her cut up squash (to be seen later).

First pie on the menu...

Pumpkin!!


This was a new recipe from a friend of mine at the Orchard. It had just a touch of molasses in it...and boy did it smell good! I'm not going to tell you why all those little pie crust cut-out turkeys are around the edges though. Because that woud mean I'd have to 'fess up to accidentally breaking Michelle's perfectly fluted crust when I took the pie out of the oven. Oooops.

And so after we'd finished the pumpkin pie, and a berry pie (no pics) and Michelle had finished rolling out all the crusts, by golly it was time for the girls to make lunch, and we had to clean up somewhat, and then get started on pie type #2.

We had a great clean-up crew...lots of cheery helpers!

lots and Lots and LOTS!

And then...

can you guess what kind of pie came next?

Three apple pies, coming up! I got this job, since I've had quite a bit of experience with apples...somewhere.

Filled up, and (almost) oven-ready!

We go for good ol' crumb-topped apple pie.

We are Dutch, after all.

And so it begins! The dessert marathon.

More desserts, to be served momentarily...

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Six or seven young women in one kitchen at the same time! With you and Michelle having such fun, no wonder you were not short on helpers!! Fun!

Hannah said...

Yep, the kitchen was packed out. If you weren't a baker or a cooker or a dish-washer, you were a sniffer or an admirer or question-asker. :)Or a taster. Never short on tasters.