
I seem to have neglected, in my previous post, to explain exactly HOW I got 75 (finally counted) mostly heavy, hardback books home. A very good question, and one worthy of a blogpost, since I've been asked it multiple times since my last post. :) It was a puzzle for sure, and one that both Michelle and I brainstormed over for the few days left before my flight home. For starters, I had, in preparation for the booksale, brought a good-sized, wheeled carry-on that I planned to empty out and use for my books. A good idea, but it only held about 1/3 of the books. Super. And the only checked luggage pieces I had were a large rolling suitcase and a duffel.
Step #1 was to load the big suitcase to its weight limit. Fifty pounds. Weighing these big cases was no easy task either. We had to obtain the assistance of Michelle's dad and brother Jon to hold the case while standing on a scale. Then either Michelle or I would duck under the suitcase (pleasant thing, to have your head under a 50-pound case, held by someone who's grunting and saying "hurry, please!") and check the weight. And hope the scale was correct.
Shoes and clothes about did it for suitcase #1, without adding any book weight. Did I mention I did some thrift store clothes shopping on this trip too? Yeah. Really smart. I think I just have a mindset that "we'll get it all home somehow!" and pay more attention to how much I'm saving, then how I'm ever going to fly it home. I believe I'll call it optimism. :)
Step #2 was to find a bigger something to use as my 2nd checked luggage piece. My duffel was in NO WAY going to fit as much as I needed it to. Trust me, we tried many ways of packing it. I honestly didn't know it would hold quite as much as we got it to, at one point. But we feared for its life, as the seams were straining slightly, and opted for finding another...something. Box. Bag. Anything bigger! So while we were at the pregenancy center that afternoon, Michelle found a U-haul box that looked good and sturdy. And large. Then came the challenge of seeing just how many books we could pack into it, along with the rest of my clothes. This required several "weigh-ins" which were even more scary than the suitcase, since there were no handles for the patient luggage-holders to hang on to. But without mishap, we managed to fit another 1/3 of the books in, as well as the rest of my clothes. Michelle is good at this. :)
Sidenote: I did end up having to wear my clunkiest shoes. Which I do not suggest to anyone. Even if it means you get to fit an extra book or two into your box. YeOW!!! But just imagine our elation as we put the two pieces on the scale at the airport and found the weight to be spot-on!! Success!!
So that was it for my two FIFTY-pound checked luggage pieces. The rolling carry-on bookcase (not a typo) weighed in at 35 pounds, and my backpack weighed up around 20 pounds or more (oh yeah, my shoulders were NOT happy). And I had a small bag with what I considered to be a "reasonable amount of reading material"...3 books. :) Nobody stopped me (good thing...I think I would have almost cried... ;)), but I think I was just ounces and centimeters away from all the weight and size limits.
As for the remaining 1/3 of my books: Michelle shipped them home to me at book rate (not a bad deal!!) and all my treasures are happily together now, awaiting a sorting as I decide which to leave out and which to pack away. Decisions, decisions.
Oh, and I did have to find people on both of my flights to help me get that book case into the overhead compartment. One gentleman was sorta watching me test its weight (to see if it was at all possible to lift it up...ha ha) with this sort of "I just knoooow she's going to ask me for help...I'm already buckled in and settled...but she's still going to ask me for...oh, she did. May as well..." look. But they were nice about it. And I always found help to get it down too. Nice conversation starter for those I sat with. :) Probably the worst part of the day was the 15 minute walk in the Minneapolis airport from where my 1st flight landed to where my 2nd flight was waiting. All I could think about to ease the pain in my feet and shoulders was "goldfish, junior mints, a chair, and my book!" :) It was a happy 2-hour layover. If one can call layovers happy. I vote yes, because it was lovely.
So that is how I got allll my many wonderful books home.
Next time, I'm driving.
Right Mom?

4 comments:
My Goodness! 10/10 !
Finally ;) hehe
Sounds like a real adventure - and just think what you could do if you drove the Subaru or pick-up!
Driving next time? Well sure, if we ALL get to go. OF course, that cuts down rather significantly on free space in ANY vehicle, to fill up with books. Can't have it all. Not to mention, your attic room has got to be reaching maximum weight capacity as well.
love you,
Mom
Well you see, Mother, I'll just follow in my car...which would spread out the cargo, to everyone's comfort. And then on the way home, after we eat most of the food, we'll have room for the books! I've got it allll figured out.
Although, I admit, the attic room space is a problem...I'm still debating that one. Think Daddy would build me a library building out in the woods somewhere?
Post a Comment