Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving Pie

This Thanksgiving came and went so fast, I didn't have time to record every single step of the Thanksgiving process like I did last year. :) Ha ha...and I'd rather be able to post Christmas recipes in the coming weeks instead of spending all December writing about Thanksgiving, like I did last year!
No...instead I have chosen a single recipe to record...
Cherry Pie!

This pie has its roots in our family. My Oma and Aunt Peg are fabulous bakers, and make THE best cherry pies (and sweet rolls, but that's beside the point). This is my second attempt at my own famous cherry pie. The first was a couple years ago...and it did what cherry pies should not...ran juice everywhere!!!

Hence the tapioca in this year's recipe. :)


Tart cherries, sugar, tapioca, and the drained cherry juice.
Mmmm.


While the cherry mixture sat for about 15 minutes, I whipped out a couple apple pies.
Well, okay.
I had help.
Three girlies volunteered to peel/core/cut my apples, and got it done quite speedily.


Back to the cherry pie!
Crust is often the determining factor...
flaky not soggy!!


And just for fun...a lattice top!


Sharing the oven space with the apple pies.


Little One came to visit me in the kitchen to see what was up. Next year she'll be chopping apples with the best of 'em!


Ta da!
Still have some changes I'd make if I make it again (more cherries! egg wash on the crust!) but it was a fun change from our usual pumpkin and apple choices.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: