First of all, we have our electricity back again! For the present. But with the ice now gone (it got up in the 50s today!) we're a bit more sure of it's staying. :) Hooray! But I had to post the lunch that Mom and I made yesterday. I never knew you could do such things on the grill! It's true indeed that necessity is the mother of invention!!
Cuban bread is a favorite recipe in this household. It makes 2 loaves, and we usually finish up both in one sitting! I added some oregano and a dash of garlic salt to this batch. Mmm mmm.

Knead for 5 minutes, rest it for 5 minutes, then bake! Does it get easier?!?

Except that this time there was no oven to bake it in, and so...we put the pan of water on the bottom rack of the grill, and set the bread on the rack above. The steam makes for a lovely chewy crust...and in this case, also kept the bottom of the bread from burning! That was my problem with those brownies...now I want to try them again with a pan of water underneath. :)

While the Cuban bread was baking, Mom started a pot of chicken noodle soup. WOW did it smell good! Especially when the carrots and onions were sauteing.

Mmmmmmm.

Ahhh...the Cuban bread is done! Took about 45 minutes on medium low grill heat, but was baked just as if I'd done it in the oven. :) Cool.

And there you have it. Yet another delicious grilled meal. And I thought the grill was only for burgers and hotdogs! Very thankful to have the oven back, but wouldn't mind more grilling experiments in the future...


2 comments:
That is fantastic! I have never considered grilling Cuban bread. :) That will have to be noted on my recipe: "will grill in case of ice storm." So glad your power's back on. Love you!
So glad you go your power back!
Post a Comment